Top Issues In Genetics
Select genetic topics of popular interest
Genetics and genomics have important health and societal implications that informed citizens and empowered consumers will need to understand. Genetic topics of popular interest, include stem cell research, the Human Genome Project, genetic testing, genealogical tracing, bioethics, bioinformatics, genetics of infectious disease, and DNA barcoding, to name a few.
Materials for Top Issues In Genetics
Description: An engaging 5 minute film about DNA and the human genome that is sure to please.
- Source: National Human Genome Research Institute and the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- URL: http://unlockinglifescode.org/learn/the-animated-genome
Description: View issues of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute's science magazine highlighting top issues in biomedical science and genetics
- Source: Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- URL: http://www.hhmi.org/bulletin
Description: Information on ethical, legal and social issues raised by genomic research
- Source: National Human Genome Research Institute
- URL: http://www.genome.gov/Issues/
Introduction to Personal Genetics (Lesson Plans/Lesson Activities)
Description: This lesson introduces students to the recent advances in genetics, genetic testing and personal genome sequencing, and presents some of the decisions and ethical challenges an individual may face regarding the use of this technology. It also highlights some of the likely benefits of personal genetics, such as gaining the motivation to take action to reduce health risks, tailoring medicines and interventions, and becoming more active and engaged healthcare consumers.
- Source: Personal Genetics Education Project
- URL: http://www.pged.org/lesson-plans/#intro